Automatic Transmission Overhaul Kit
OEM Quality Automatic Transmission Rebuild Kit
Paper and Rubber Kit
Metal Clad Seals
Bonded Pistons (As Required)
- Master Overhaul Rebuild Kit with Steels
- 1970 - 1981 C4
- The Ford C4 is a three-speed, medium-duty automatic transmission introduced on 1964 model year vehicles and produced through 1981. The C4 was designed to be a lighter and more simple replacement for the original Ford-O-Matic two speed transmission being used in smaller, less powerful cars. Because of its cast iron construction, the Ford-O-Matic was very heavy. In designing the C4, Ford used an aluminum alloy, three-piece case (bellhousing, main case, and tailhousing). The aluminum case and the use of a more simple planetary gear set reduced the weight significantly. It was primarily used with Ford's inline six-cylinder engines and small V8 engines, usually up to 302 in³ (5.0 L). By comparison, the 351 Windsor and 351 Cleveland small and intermediate-block engines were backed by the medium-duty FMX or the heavy-duty c6 that debuted in 1966. Some C4s were built with a larger spread bell housing to use with 351m V8s, but these are rare. A few were also used with FE engines, mostly the 390. in full-size cars. The early model C4 (1964–1969) used a .788-inch 24-spline input shaft, which was upgraded in 1970 to 26-spline and .839-inch. The upgrade also included a matching clutch hub of 26-spline. In 1971, Ford went to a 26/24-spline input shaft, meaning the torque-converter side is 26-spline and the clutch hub is 24-spline. The C4 was also found with valve bodies requiring a different number of bolts, 8-bolt vs 9-bolt. A 9-bolt valvebody can be used on either case, but a nut & bolt must be used on the valve body in the empty hole, dropping the bolt in from the top and using the nut on the bottom/filter side. Modified C4s remain popular with hot rodders and drag racers due to their simplicity and durability.
- Transtar Industries, Inc. is the leading worldwide distributor of transmission-related products, automotive specialty repair and refinishing products, and high-performance parts and accessories. Among its transmission-related offerings are automatic and standard transmission and transfer case units, kits and components, as well as other driveline and powertrain products.
- With more than 50 shipping warehouse locations in the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Canada, Transtar Industries serves independent and franchise transmission repair shops, automotive general repair businesses, production rebuilders, and resellers throughout North America. Transtar's International Division serves a global network of Aftermarket automotive distributors in more than 80 countries around the world.
- Transtar Industries, Inc., headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio, was founded in 1975. Their team of outstanding professionals is dedicated to providing customers with responsive service, expert product knowledge and support, and on-time delivery.